July 05, 2004

The Ballad of a Broken Heart, Part II

I've written you so many songs, all heartfelt works of art
But these are the words that spilled out when you broke my heart
I bought you roses you never saw. Forgotten, they died alone
An ominous allusion to what we would become

In this play, this scene, this life's lost love someone forgot their lines
I missed my cue to say I love you for the hundredth time

You were my Wendy Darling and I was Peter Pan
You were supposed to take me away from Neverland
A thimble was not enough to show what you meant to me
But it is all I gave to you, and for that I am sorry

In this life, this love, this movie, this film without a name
I missed my cue to say I love you, some things just never change
One thousand burning candles illuminate our stage
But my lines are hard to read, with tears along the page.

I will always love you, no matter what I say
And I will think about you almost every single day
You know that place between sleep and awake, where you can remember dreaming?
That's where I'll always love you, that's where I'll be waiting.

No comments: